Important projects undertaken
- Surveillance of Water and Ambient Air Quality Monitoring stations;
- State of Environment of Vadodara;
- Monitoring of Polluted River Stretch of Damanganga;
- Coastal Monitoring at Alang Ship Breaking Yard;
- Performance study of Electrostatic Precipitators in the Thermal Power Plant in Gujarat;
- The performance study of CETP in Western Zone;
- Performance Evaluation of STPs in major cities of Gujarat;
- Inventory of Hazardous Waste Management in Maharashtra;
- In-depth study to assess the pollution potential in oil refineries including Sulfur Balance;
- Studies of Ground Water Quality around CETP and Common secured landfill sites (CLFS) located at various places in Gujarat;
- Studies on Pollution potential from Fishing Harbour to the Coastal Waters;
- Case studies on Marine National Park, Gulf of Kutch, Jamnagar, Gujarat;
- Assessment of pollution potential in Zari industries and probable techno-economic solution for its treatment & safe disposal in Surat;
- Study of Economic Feasibility of Various Treatment Options for Distillery Effluent.
Profile & Important Activities
About Western Zonal Office
The Western Zonal Office, Vadodara was established in year 1988 to look after pollution assessment and enforcement activities in the west zone with total geographical area spread of about 5,03,737 square kilometers covering states of Gujarat, Maharashtra and Union Territories of Daman, Diu, Dadra & Nagar Haveli.
The west zone office carryout diversified activities related with environmental pollution and enforcement ranging from industrial pollution, urban & vehicular pollution, bio-medical waste, hazardous waste, common environmental infrastructure facilities, coastal pollution (oil spills), import/export of waste, economic industrial zones to ship-breaking. Moreover widest spectrum of industrial sectors/categories is housed in west zone
Major activities dealt by Zonal Office (W) are :
- Pollution Control Enforcement.
- Inspection and monitoring with reference to Public/VIP complaint, Court cases.
- Review of implementation of status of action plan of critically polluted/CEPI areas.
- Inspection & monitoring of common environmental infrastructure facilities (CETP, STPs, CHWTSDF, CHWI, BMWTF).
- Inter-state river monitoring.
- Surveillance of National Air & Water Quality monitoring stations.
- Execution of other projects as per annual action plan.
- Inspection, Monitoring as desired by CPCB-HO and MoEF&CC under various activities such as recognition of environmental laboratories, development of standards, inputs to various expert committees constituted by MoEF&CC, projects etc.
- Assessment of laboratories for recognition under Environment (Protection) Act, 1986.
- Monitoring & follow-up of HW co-processing activities.
- Compilation of information and making it available under ‘Right to Information (RTI) Act’.
- Co-ordination with SPCBs & PCCs
- Strengthening, operation and maintenance of laboratory.
- Conducting mass awareness programme & training programmes.
- To deal with matters pertaining to parliament and parliamentary standing committee